From top left: Quinoa tuna casserole, Chicken & Fries (done in the Low-Fat Healthy Fryer), KIND bar, Wendy’s Berry-Almond salad, Sautéed Green Beans.
This past week has been one of my better eating weeks. I’ve eaten lots of salad, veggies, quinoa, organic bars, and low-fat meats. I feel great, and I suspect that my healthy eating partially led to my great training week too (including getting up EARLY a few times!).
However, there was one exception to the healthy eating….
Last weekend we hosted a BBQ for our friends so at the request of my hubby, I made my famous green beans that I sautéed in (wait for it)…. bacon grease. Yes – the only way I can get my hubby to eat beans is drown them in bacon grease. And guess what? We served them and not a single green bean was left at the end of the evening!
So because these were so well received, I figured that I would share the recipe with you – you can thank me later:
- 6 strips of cooked bacon (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons of bacon grease (I save the left over grease from breakfast)
- Frozen green beans
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- Sea salt
- 1. Cook bacon in a large skillet set over medium-high heat until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon pieces and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off excess grease from the skillet, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- 2. Add the garlic and red onion to the bacon grease and cook over med-high heat, about 1 minute.
- 3. Add green beans and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until beans are tender but still a little crunchy, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Crumble bacon and return to the pan and toss with the beans before serving.
- 5. Serve & enjoy!
- If you make this for a holiday, I would suggest preparing it day before and letting it sit for a while. It's even better the next day.
That concludes this week’s What I Ate Wednesday! Feel free to share yours in the comments below!
Question: What did you eat last week?