Hey everyone! It’s food friday! Yanno what that means? It’s time for me to share a family favourite recipe – and time for you to link up your family favourite recipe so I can give it a try (yes, this is me being too lazy to find new recipes myself …).
This week I’d like to share with you our favourite Spanish Rice Wraps – they’re really easy to make, and my kids absolutely LOVE them! They offer a serving of each food group:
- Breads & cereals
- Meat & legumes
- Long Grain Instant Rice (uncooked) 3/4 cup (190 g)
- Extra lean ground beef, browned and drained 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Red and green bell pepper, diced or cut into strips 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Salsa (heat level to your preference) 1 cup (250 mL)
- Frozen corn, thawed 1 cup (250 mL)
- Water 3/4 cup (190 g)
- Chili powder 1 tsp (10 mL)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded 3/4 cup (190 g)
- Sour cream, 1 cup
- Lettuce, shredded
- Whole wheat tortillas (6)
- Brown beef in a non-stick skillet and drain any excess fat. Stir in bell peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, corn, water, rice and chili powder.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5-7 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir gently, sprinkle shredded cheese over the surface, re-cover and set aside for an additional 2 minutes to melt the cheese. Add salt to taste.
- Spoon mixture onto tortillas. Add sour cream, salsa and lettuce to taste. Wrap and enjoy!