Warning: these chocolate chip cookies require a tall glass of milk.
The other day the girls insisted that we make some home-made chocolate chip cookies for their school lunches. I must admit I’ve definitely had my share of cookie blunders – cookies that would be best used as a paper weight, not as a treat, but after years of trying and modifying every.single.chocolate.chip.cookie.recipe out there, I have finally found that there are two secret weapons for making cookies soft and chewy:
- APPLESAUCE, and
- MELTED BUTTER.
Yep – those two things are my secret cookie weapons.
Because one of the take aways from my recent reader poll was that I should share more of my family friendly recipes, I thought I would share the chocolate cookie recipe with you from the cookies we made on Monday night…. but you have to promise not to blame me if this recipe keeps your kids coming back for more cookies. (Though that could be ok because these cookies are made with fruit!) Enjoy!
This recipe will keep your kids coming back for more, but that’s ok because these cookies are low-fat and made with fruit!
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- In a bowl, with a mixer, cream together brown sugar, applesauce, butter, egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder. and salt. Slowly stir into applesauce mixture, blend well. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden brown. Place on wired rack to cool.
If you want to get the perfect chocolate chip cookies that are crispy on the outside, and soft and chewy on the inside, then refrigerate your dough balls for 24-48 hours before baking. Make sure to bring to room temperature before putting in the oven. This will give your cookies the perfect crispy-to-chewy ratio.
Question: Do you sneak fruits or veggies into baked goods too?All the best in health and fitness,
Follow my Featured Recipes board on Pinterest for great family friendly recipes.