Last weekend myself and the three other bridesmaids (Julie, Juliette and Christine) in Laura’s wedding party threw a shower for the lovely bride, Laura. Her wedding is in August, but we thought that a lovely June wine-tasting event for her shower would be a nice way to celebrate the bride.
Our original plan was to host the shower outside in Julie’s beautiful backyard with her pool as a backdrop, but unfortunately the weather didn’t want to cooperate with us and it rained all day long. I had made the invitations in April and mailed them out in early May. They were purple wine bottles with silver thread wrapped around the top as the “cork” and the shower details were the “label”.
(Mock-up of the invitations, I forgot to take a picture of the final product)
For the shower, each bridesmaid brought their favourite wine and an appetizer to pair it with – we had quite the spread of delicious appetizers (and yummy wine) to enjoy:
Julie is super talented and made really cute wine-themed labels to go with our wine and pairings:
And she painted wine bottles with black chalkboard paint and used chalk to label each bridesmaids contribution:
For my wine, I chose Skinny Grape Pinot Grigio because I like how light it tastes. I find it very refreshing on a hot summer’s day, and because of its low alcohol content (I have a very low alcohol tolerance…). I chose to pair my wine with Chili-Lime Chicken with Veggie Kabobs. As a care-free summer wine, pinot grigio is light and crisp, so it pairs well with chicken and light fish. It doesn’t pair well with heavy sauces or distinctly flavoured sauces.
The Chili-Lime Chicken with Veggie Kabobs were perfect because there’s just a hint of the chili-lime flavouring in them, and admittedly I was looking for something fairly healthy to bring as well.
Julie also baked some delicious cupcakes:
And we played some fun shower games like “He said, She said” where the guests have to guess whether the bride or the groom made the statement, and guess the number of the corks.
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cayenne pepper to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 green pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red onion cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice. Add in chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper. Place the chicken in a shallow dish with the sauce, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the BBQ grill to medium-high heat. Thread chicken and veggies onto skewers, and discard marinade.
- Lightly oil the grill. Grill skewers on top grill for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear.