Lately I’ve seen a lot of things in the media about size and health. First there was a pictorial in PLUS Model Magazine that stated that models bigger than a size 6 are now considered in the industry to be plus-sized, and that the average runway model has a BMI equivalent to those with anorexia:
Then there was this really awful advertising campaign to motivate parents and kids to tackle obesity by the State of Georgia:
Then there was this image that I found floating around Pinterest with the caption “Which woman would you rather be?”
ALL of these discussions relating size to health make me sick to my stomach because…
You can’t tell how physically (or even mentally) healthy a person is simply by looking at them. Unfortunately in the debate on my Sunday night blog post and on the pin on pinterest that went with it, many people did try to reason why one of the women in the last picture was healthier than the other:
- Ok hate to point out he obvious but the smaller women is healthier without a doubt! Also I don’t care what anyone says, obesity is not attractive. She may be a good person, but there are definite health issues here!
- Superficially one would most likely answer the smaller woman. The smaller woman could have terminal cancer and a husband that abused her while the heavier woman could be healthy and in a loving and wonderful relationship. I would love to be “fit and healthy” but more than that, I want to be happy and healthy. Just because someone isn’t a size 2 doesn’t make them unhealthy.
- The larger person might be happy and beautiful, but it’s pretty much a given that their health is suffering due to obesity. So many diseases and heath issues are linked to being obese – it’s just a fact.
- Your right you don’t have to be a size two to be healthy, but obesity is not healthy! It’s about health not size! That larger women is not physically healthy, her weight can be just as unhealthy as cancer.
- To try to convince yourself and everyone else that a person that big is beautiful is ignorant and ridiculous. I would never judge someone that’s big, EVER! I have a lot of friends that are obese, and I would never say or do anything to make them feel bad about it. But, I would also NEVER condone and support them either. It’s almost condescending to tell someone that it’s ‘ok” or “beautiful” to be fat. When in reality, IT’S NOT! We were not created to be that morbidly obese and unhealthy. Therefore, it shows disrespect to ourselves and to the One who created our beautiful bodies. We should be more willing to cherish our bodies, since it is a gift.. instead of everybody making excuses when we choose to destroy it.
In my opinion I have come to the conclusion that healthy is:
- being free from disease (both physical and mental)
- being active for at least 30 min a day
- eating 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies/day
- eating .8g of lean protein per kg of body weight
- drinking 74oz + of water/day
- drinking only a moderate amount of alcohol
- being smoke-free
so why are we judging each other?
Let’s encourage and motivate all those around us to be as healthy as they can. Let’s lead by example. Judge not. Embrace and encourage. Motivate.
We all have the power to be healthy.