The other day I had a fantastic run and at first I couldn’t figure out what made it so amazing. Then I realised that not only was I running with my awesome running buddies, but it was also Spring. Both are fantastic reasons to love running, but today I want to focus on more on the magic that makes Spring running the perfect time of year to get into running. Here are my 10 reasons to love Spring running:
- After a winter of needing to wear everything you own to go for a run, it is so nice not having to run while wearing ALL.THE.CLOTHES. In the spring you instantly can run at least 20sec/mile faster because you aren’t carrying around an extra 5 pounds of clothing.
- In the Spring your water neither freezes in your bottle nor does it turn to hot soup.
- The lovely sound of birds chirping. I could go on all day about how beautiful the chirping is after a winter of silence.
- Sunshine. After 5 months of cloudy overcast days or even dark morning runs, it’s so nice to run in the sun and daylight. Even at 6 am there’s a bit of sun… finally!
- The races. Spring brings with it a return of race season. There’s pretty much a race every single weekend all Spring long so if you don’t like to do long runs by yourself you can sign up for a race of any distance every weekend to force you to get your run in.
- The temperature is always perfect. It’s never too hot, nor too cold to run.
- With every run the world gets prettier as the trees begin to bud and flower, the grass becomes greener and everything become more colourful.
- Seeing other people out enjoying the wonderful weather and exchanging a wave and a smile while you are out running helps to brighten your day.
- No more dodging slush, snow piles and ice. While they were great for cross-training, they’re not conducive to speedwork.
- It doesn’t take 6 hours to get warmed up and to get the chill out of your bones after a run. You might even be able to enjoy a nice cool down and stretch outside!
What are your favourite things about running in the Spring?