This is Day 1 of the March Healthy Living/Fitness Blogger Blogging Challenge. Please feel free to join in and share your blog post in the comments below. For a list of suggested topics, please visit this post.
When I was in my teens I read the book “Little Girl Lost” by Drew Barrymore. I was intrigued because she and I are the same age, however our upbringings are drastically different (obviously – she’s famous, I’m not the least bit). I was very curious, how could someone with fame and fortune be so self-destructive? It quickly became clear to me as I read her book that money doesn’t buy happiness – something that had never occurred to me when I was young. I believed that rich and famous people were also very happy, but my eyes were suddenly opened. I also realized that being happy is what makes people beautiful, inside and out. People LIKE being around happy people.
Drew herself said it best:
Drew’s words stuck with me through my teen years and my twenties – I was happy and felt beautiful. However, I quickly forgot them as I became a mother. For the first few years I dwelled upon the things that I used to do but could no longer do (at least by myself). I wasn’t even considering how much awesomeness my daughter was bringing to my life – I was too focused on me and what I felt I was missing out on (like being able to play in weekend long softball tournaments, the loss of my freedom, etc). I’m sure this is something every new mother goes through.
Then one day, tired of being unhappy, I decided to choose happiness.
Happiness is a choice – it’s a choice we can make every single day. It’s choosing to see the glass as half full instead of half empty. For me, being happy comes from being grateful for all the little amazing things in life:
- The sweet giggles of happiness from my daughter when she wakes up in the night and sneaks into my bed to sleep with me.
- Finding random love notes that me older daughters leave me around the house.
- A hot cup of coffee in the morning (sometimes brought to me in bed by my hubby!).
- The chirping of the birds outside my window in the Spring.
- The loud hum of the snowplow clearing the street so I can get to work.
- Having a job, that I love (bonus!).
- When my daughter sneaks in to the bathroom to have a shower with me – it makes me feel so special!
- Watching my kids grow, develop and play with each other.
- Being able to run, yes even in the cold!
As you can see, it really is the small things that bring happiness, and I’m sure I could go on and on, but what I really want to know is….
What makes YOU happy? How do YOU choose happiness?
Participating in the March Healthy Living/Fitness Blogger Blogging Challenge? Then please feel free to join in and share your post in the comments below and be sure to check out some of the other blogs too. For a list of suggested topics, please visit this post.
SUBSCRIBE or follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | RSS