It’s no secretÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦. I LOOOOOVE running. It is definitely my soul-mate exercise – nothing (and I meen NOTHING) in the whole wide world makes me feel more energised and happy than a quick tempo run or a long slow distance run. After a good run I have an incredible amount of patience for my family and I’ve learned that being able to run on a regular basis is crucial to my happiness. That said, I know that not everyone feels that way about running, in fact I know that many people despise running because they think it’s boooooooooorrrrringÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦.
So I asked
a few a lot of my favourite runners to share their secrets for making running fun, and they completely blew my mind with their awesome ideas!
Erica of Food and fun on the Run said:
- “I make running fun by getting out on a run no matter where I am! Vacation, work trip, etc – you bet I’ll be lacing up my running shoes!”
Megan of Running Toward the Prize said:
- “I sign up for fun races – gives me something to work toward!”
Lindsay of The Lean Green Bean said:
- ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”I like breaking up my running with things like ab work and even tabatas. Check out the Fast 4 & Core, Terrible Twos and 3 Mile Run w/ Tabatas on my workout page! (http://www.theleangreenbean.com/workouts/) It makes the running part more fun because it goes by quickly :)ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â
Harold of A Veteran Runnah said:
- “By staying uninjured :-)”
(good advice Harold)
- Doesn’t everyone count the number of people they pass? 😉
Theodora of Losing Weight in the City said:
- ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”I really love when I can use running as a form of transportation, like running home from work, or running to brunch. ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”
- “Rundates are a fun way to get your miles in while catching up with your fellow running buddies. I also like the “transportation” idea that Theodora mentioned. I love running to/from the barre studio, take class, and then run home again.”
Toni of Running Loving Living said:
- “I find when I have to run on the treadmill doing speed work actually makes it fun for me and it also makes the time more quickly. I also love to run with my hubby at night, we can catch up on our day undistracted by the kids :)”
Jess of Blonde ponytail said:
- “I have been on an interval kick with the treadmill. I post several workouts here: http://www.blondeponytail.com/p/my-moves.html which help me break up the miles.”
- ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”Races, Vary where you run, Vary how you run (speed, intervals, long, slow, etc.), Run with a preschooler….their conversation will keep your mind off anything but beware….mine tends to want to talk more when I am pushing her uphill!ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â
Rachel of Running Rachel said:
- ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”I agree with Erica, running with small children help distract you while on your run. I love having my boys tell me when to “run fast”. We also play i-spy on long runs to keep THEM entertained also ;)ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â
Kate of I Run on PB and K said:
- ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”I make running fun by making a new playlist! and when i get new shoes and its the first run, i’m like a kid on christmas hahaÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â
Elle of Eat Run Sail said:
- ” I have to have new places to run frequently. I like classic.mapmyrun.com to map new routes in our marina town and in our temporary city stay.”
- How about pretending that you are running away from a zombie horde. I’m surprised that wasn’t on the list
Bonnie of Bonnie Lang Fitness responded with a list of ways she keeps running fun:
- ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”Three quick things come to mind:
1. It truly is fun to me to think about how I’ll feel afterwards – always accomplished, always happy, always glad I went!
2. Although too heady for some, I also like to listen to sermons because I love the congruence of doing something healthy for my body and mind at the same time – gives me good things to think about when I’m feeling slow (although a little Pink and Black Eyed Peas always does the job too). 😉
3. Lastly, I often think about how incredible it is that my body is ABLE to move…whether it feels good or not, it makes me grateful on the run which perks up my attitude and makes me joyful! Thankful for movement. 😀 ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”
And me? I make running fun by creating challenges for myself while I run such as:
- Can I hold a specific pace for a quarter mile?
- Can I hold that specific pace for another quarter mile?
- Can I do my 5k loop faster than the last time I ran it?
- Can I hold my heart rate at a constant rate for the duration of my run?
- How many other runners will I see?
- Can I run to the beat of the song I ‘m listening to? (My favourite song to do this with is ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…”Lose YourselfÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â by Eminem
Truthfully, my most cherished runs are the ones I do on weekends with my two oldest daughters riding their bikes beside me while I run and push their baby sister in the jogging stroller.
How do you make running fun?
or follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | RSS | Email